Followers

Pages

Monday, September 1, 2008

Constructive Criticism

Greetings, fans. Today is an extremely exciting day for me. This day, September 1st, 2008, my 2nd novel, "A Man's Worth" will grace the bookshelves of Barnes & Noble, Borders, Walden Books, and Wal-Mart Stores all across North America. When I think back 2 years prior to this day, when I submitted my manuscript to dozens of publishing houses, I remember the rejection letters coming in the mail almost on a daily basis. I'll never forget the words , 'Your work has potential but it's not right for us', 'This type of manuscript is not what we're looking for at this time', and the worst one of all, 'Miss Nichols, we just don't think you have what it takes, but good luck to you'.
I won't deny the fact that I became very discouraged, even despondent. Knowing what the Lord had instilled in me and trying my best not to give up on my dream of becoming a best selling author, I went back to my computer. I sat for hours and hours going through each and every chapter wondering why my work couldn't get the recognition I knew it deserved. Then I'd have my family and closest friends critique my work. But they all loved it and told me how great the manuscript was. So, I was back to square 1. Wondering why I couldn't get it published. Then I got a call from my aunt, Frenchie. She may spank me for mentioning her name but I have to acknowledge that she is the reason why my name is on its way toward becoming a household subject. You see, aunt Frenchie called me one day and said something I'd never forget. Her exact words were, "I read your manuscript but you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Your time frame is all off, your character's aren't realistic and you should really research certain things."
I made the corrections she suggested and re-shopped my work. 3 months later, I was offered a deal with Urban Books. And before I had a chance to tell the Senior Editor that I'd written a sequel, she informed me that Urban wanted to purchase 2 books from me. From that moment, my life as I knew it, had changed. I will forever be grateful for Aunt Frenchie's constructive criticism. Her words, although I thought were a bit harsh at that time, were exactly what I needed. So, I'd like to encourage all of you. If you're passionate about a certain goal but just can't seem to grasp on to it, maybe all you need is a little constructive criticism. Trust someone to tell you the truth, even if it's not what you wanna hear. Take it, apply it, and go for yours.

Kita